Purpose of the University
The purpose of Tokyo Gakugei University is to foster talented educators with high-level knowledge and culture as well as abundant creativity and practical skills through arts and science education and research activities based on rich humanism and a scientific mindset to contribute to the construction of a society where human rights are respected and all peoples coexist, and to the realization of world peace.
Tokyo Gakugei University seeks individuals who aspire to become "talented educators" with a deep understanding and high-level expertise regarding education who are active in diverse fields of society. To those ends, our students are expected to approach university activities with the following attitude.
- Eagerly engage in class and seminar activities; refine intellectual creativity and curiosity.
- Foster the love for children and the joy of teaching through teaching practice and other diverse involvement with educational settings.
- Deepen relationships with teachers and fellow students, and cultivate flexible sensitivity and rich communications abilities.
- Cultivate a sense of solidarity and tenacious mental strength through hands-on learning and club activities.
- Actively participate in volunteer activities, and contribute to the realization of a coexistent society.
- Acquire superior foreign language ability and an international perspective through study abroad and other opportunities.
The United Graduate School of Education (Doctoral Program) Admission Policy
Aiming at improving the education of teachers at universities and the development of school education, the United Graduate School of Education works to:
- Foster the next generation of researchers in teacher-training universities and faculties
- Foster faculty for teacher-training universities based on classroom experience in schools.
- Foster education professionals and provide opportunities for high-level training.
The United Graduate School of Education creates a new comprehensive curriculum studies fusing curriculum studies, specialized subjects and educational sciences, and seeks individuals who are eager to contribute to the development of school education.
Curriculum Policies (Policies for Organizing and Implementing Educational Courses)
To foster talented educators, Tokyo Gakugei University's curriculum comprises the three categories "liberal arts subjects," "basic education subjects," and "major subjects." Liberal arts subjects are for the purpose of acquiring refined culture and basic skills, and comprise the three fields "general arts and sciences," "health and sports" and "language." Basic education subjects are for the purpose of fostering basic education abilities and enhancing practical skills. These comprise six fields in the teacher training course including "significance of the teaching profession" and "teaching practice," and two fields in the liberal arts course including "basic education theory." Major subjects are for the purpose of deepening expertise in the subject and major. These comprise the three fields "subjects related to curriculum studies and teaching training," "subjects related to the major" and "graduation research" in the teacher training course and the two fields "subjects related to the major" and "graduation research" in the liberal arts course.
Diploma Policy (Policy on granting degrees)
Tokyo Gakugei University grants academic degrees to individuals who have acquired the prescribed credits and are recognized as having the ability to become school teachers with high-level expertise and superior practical abilities by having gained profound culture and abundant intelligence. TGU also grants academic degrees to individuals recognized as having the ability to uphold a lifelong-learning society and a knowledge-based society with leading expert knowledge and a deep understanding of education.